Course Detail Coastal Navigation & Tidal Planning: British Canoeing
This course is designed to complement the areas covered in the British Canoeing Sea Kayak Leader Training and British Canoeing Coastal SUP Leader Training.
- The aim of this course is to give the student the tools to enable them to plan and navigate effectively on coastal journeys in moderate sea conditions. This will include the following aspects:
- To interpret sources of information including maps, charts, coastal pilots and tide tables
- To navigate on the water using visual references and simple pilotage techniques, e.g. transits and dead reckoning
- Effective use of a compass
- To be able to source, interpret and apply weather information to the coastal environment
- Students should be made aware of the role of the Coastguard and the value of liaising with them
By the end of the course, each candidate should have planned at least 2 open crossings that they can take home as references for further trip planning.
Candidates should also be aware of the range of resources they require to plan trips in any sea area.
For more information on the content covered, please read the syllabus.BOOK YOUR ADVENTURE